Community action team
Vermont Grant Program
The Vermont Community Action Teams (CATs) are groups of employees at each of Ben & Jerry’s three Vermont manufacturing and office facilities. They offer general or project support within the broad guidelines and funding provided by the Ben & Jerry’s Foundation. Every month, the CATs make small grants, generally under $2,000, to various local, community-based Vermont non-profit programs. In addition to making small grants, the CATs plan community service projects for all employees at their sites.
DEADLINE: Applications reviewed monthly.
To be considered for funding, each applicant organization must be:
- Located in Vermont
- A local, community-based, non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization, OR
- An organization that has a fiscal agent with 501(c)(3) status, OR
- A municipal school, or a municipality
Funding preference will be given to organizations that:
- Focus on under-served populations including seniors, youth, low-income and communities of color
- Address basic human needs and the needs of underserved areas of the state
- Improve access to housing, food, health care, elder and child care
- Have a strong volunteer base
- Can demonstrate the support of their community
- Don’t rely exclusively on funding from the Ben & Jerry’s Foundation
- Might not have access to more mainstream sources of support
Areas Not funded
Unfortunately, we cannot consider requests for:
- Individuals or scholarship programs
- Organizations or programs that are focused or based outside the state of Vermont
- Statewide programs or organizations (local affiliates are fine)
- Businesses or business association
- Other foundations or regranting organizations
- Religious organizations (unless they provide outreach programs that benefit the broad community)
- National organizations
- Discretionary or emergency requests
- Programs or purposes that may be perceived as directly benefitting a Ben & Jerry’s employee or their family members
Applications may be submitted online through our grants management system at any time and are reviewed on a monthly basis.
Frequently asked Questions
Grant Partner Highlights
PAST Grant Partners
The documents below feature lists, by year, of the organizations and programs we’ve funded in the past. Not only is it inspiring to see all of the impactful work happening around Vermont, reading through these brief descriptions is a great way to better understand the types of projects that qualify for Vermont Economic Justice Program funding.